- Quality issues with the telephony/internet services in the Estate will not get any better, they are likely to get worse, as:
- Distance impacts the quality and reliability of the service;
- More is expected out of the existing old copper which is pushed to its limit – VDSL2 technology being the maximum currently attainable on this medium;
- Changing services for one residence can impact everyone (eg. Power levels may have to be adjusted with a change, which impacts other customers);
- Every time work is done on the copper, its integrity is risked through exposure to air, re-termination work required etc. over time;
- Groundwater penetration in Gleneagles Estate is significant – which can impact the stability and life of the copper.
- Electrical properties of the copper are not constant – they are in a state of flux.
- A single speed is offered on VDSL2, as no assurance of quality can be guaranteed. You may have one speed one day and a different speed the next. Retail Service Providers (RSP) can always blame your connection, as opposed to taking responsibility for congestion of their links.
- The scalability of VDSL is limited (ie. Best the medium can offer is what is being offered now).
- Any upgrades from VDSL2 to FTTH will be well over a decade away at best.
© 2023 Gleneagles Estate NBN.
All material used under Creative Commons Principles.